Thursday, November 11, 2010

Work and Survivor

So since the Halloween extravaganza not much has ben happening over here in Maui. Mostly just because I am almost broke and finally starting on a couple jobs. Been running alot though. Been getting about 78-82 milesin each week for the past couple weeks. Signed up for the Maui Marathon January 23rd so if your around for that come on down. Only problem with that: Race starts at 5:45 in the morning. Serious downer.

Working at Barnes and Noble. Had my first actual day of work today. Really going to like the job. Not only is it easy and I mostly walk around helping people find books, movies, etc but I get a seriously good discount on Starbucks and books and there are some really good looking girls who work there and go in all the time. I think I can tolerate that. The one draw back is that right now I only work like 12-14 hours a week but can get extra hours most days apparently. Oh, and I have to be there by 7 AM 2 days a week. Which means back to getting up at 6 again. Love it. Sometimes my life is just soooo damn hard I don't know how I can handle it.

Also working at Bubba Gump Restaurant. Not sure how I am gonna like this job. Where B&N is a very laid back casual job with literally no stress, this job looks like it may be a hassle. It is always busy and there are a million things you have to learn and do. Other than there are some cuties working there I am unsure how long I plan on staying there. At the longest I'll stay til I start subbing. Once I have that going I plan on bouncing out of Bubba Gumps. Hopefully in abou 3-4 weeks.

Speaking of subbing. So I had to purchase another phone for the job. Apparently the way the system works is that an automated machine calls subs the morning positions open up.But it can only call local numbers and since I don't have a local number it would never be able to call me. So either change my phone number or get another phone. Well if I changd my PN then I would not be able to get all the adoring calls and texts from all my friends back home letting me know they miss me and whatnot. Oh, wait a minute...
So I got one of those pay as you go phones and put some minutes on it. Pretty much it is going to sit there next to my bed and be used only for that one job. Then I can just sell it for like 10 bucks or something. The more I think about this subbing the more of a hassle it is to me.

So onto something a little more exciting going on right now. A couple weeks ago I was browsing around the internet and stumbled across a posting for the next Survivor. Now people have told me in the past I could probably do pretty well on the show. So I decided to apply for shits and giggles. It killed 30 minutes of my day so whatever. Well yesterday I get a call from a guy who represents the show. It is his job to pick the people who could be chosen to be on the show and pitch them up to the casting people. Apparently he and his people have been narrowing down the selection to the 100 people they will pitch to the casting reps for the next Survivor and he wanted me to be one of them. Right away I start thinking "Yup, and all I have to do is send him hundreds of dollars for it." Nope, no money is needed. He read through the stuff I sent him along with some pictures of me competing in triathlons and fels that I am a perfect fit for the show. All he needed was for me to send some more pictures and more information, answering questions he sent me and whatnot. He is meeting with the people Thursday and will let me know by Thursday evening. If I get through this round then I would do a sit down interview with the actual casting people in LA. Obviously there is only a small chance I could get onto the show. I am up against 99 other people but this is still pretty sweet. I guess something like 8-9 thousand people submitted for Survivor just in the past couple months. He also mentioned I could do very well in The Amazing Race so long as I know someone witha similar background and personality as myself who could compete in the show. I mentioned I knew a few people... (Brian, Paul, Jon).
The one drawback to this: Aparently shooting would possibly be done in the summer. This would not only mean I miss out on lifeguarding down at the Cape but would also miss out on the Lake Placid Ironman. But as I said... very little chance I would be able to do the show. Hell, I would not even be able to afford the plan ticket to get to LA for the in person casting interviews. Maybe I could talk them into coming to Maui and meeting with me here...
How fucking awesome would that be though, being on one of those shows. Or maybe The Biggest Loser? Hell they measure it by percentage of body fat right? I may not be the best to cast for that I guess. So lets all cross our fingers. I could be standing there in the tribal council trying to convince everyone not to vote me off. We all know how good I am at sweet talking people.

So it's actually sinking in that I am here for the long haul. The past couple days I have been going through small stints of missing Worcester and all it has to offer. For the most part I have been enjoying things over here but every now and then it occurs to me I will not be spending any holidays with anyone really. I mean Matt and Jon will be here for Thanksgiving and Paul will hopefully be here in December. I have been missing people lately. As I think about my life I also wonder if I did the right thing coming here. I mean, I gave up a really good job, threw away security and a steady paycheck to come here, train, and pretty much dick around for a year. A part of me has started to wonder if what I did was the right thing to do. I sit here slowly becoming poor with all those close to me 5000 miles away. I am constantly wondering what's going on back home. It's just doubts. They were bound to start sooner or later. But I do miss being back home. I think cause it was something that was steady and normal. I knew I could handle things back there and friends were always around when I needed them. I am confident I will make it here once things start getting into a routine. Once I have a steady paycheck coming in. Once I get my triathlon bike over here. Once Paul finally gets his butt in gear and officially quits his stupid job.

Jon gets here in a week so got that to look forward to. Harry Potter in 9 days so theres that to look forward to. My birthday in 20 days... oh god. I don't wanna get old.

For those ladies who read this... I am betting you all will be purchasing this:

https://www.getshakeweight.com/flare/next?tag=im%7csm%7cbi%7ctm&a_aid=011&a_bid=bc3062b6&chan=B&data1=TM

1 comment:

  1. From one roommate to another: you made the right call.

    ReplyDelete