Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Out of Gas and 6 AM should NOT exist

Whelp now we play the waiting game with this whole Survivor things. While I wait to met the casting directors in a couple months I have to get my passport. A person can get their passprt while they are in a different state than their home state right? Let's hope so. No way am I flying all the way back to Massachusetts to get that. I don't even know if my body can handle weather below 60 degrees now. By the way, since I've been here the coldest its been during the day has been 76 degrees at 6:30 in the morning and at night it gets down to a chilly 73. The best part is that we have two air conditioners set up in the apartment and we have not even unwrapped the cords because there is a constant breeze coming in so it never gets hot. Anyway, so I've spoken with this guy Derek Rogers. He's the head talent coordinator guy in charge of sending the different reality shows people and apparently he's set up a profile page of me so that the different shows can view it. I had to send about a dozen different pictures and a lengthy bio about myself. So now I belon to a talnt agency. So long as it gets me on either Survivor or The Amazing Race I'm cool with it.

So I fel like I'm back to teaching again. Well at least the getting up at 6 AM to get to work for 7. I got up this morning and really considered crying. I really hate getting up that early for anything. I cna tolerate doing it for races. For example, the marathon in January starts at 5:45. That means gettting up at like 3:45 to get there in time. But to go to work... come on. The place doesn't even open til 9. How much dusting really needs to be done? 6 AM should not exist. By the way on a sidenote: Did you know Hawaii does not do the daylight savings thing? Hawaii and Arizona are the only 2 states that do not acknowledge it. We all learn new things. Barnes and Noble is a fun gig though. It is really easy stuff. All I do is "Zone" book areas. That means I scan all the barcodes of books on the shelves and my scanner tells me if the book stays or its time to send it back to publisher. ALso make sure books are in right spots and everything looks clean and neat. I'll be working at registers too once I am familar with zoning. The other workers are really nice. The bosses are super cheery though. Almost overly nice. Mostly women too. Of course the ones I have worked with already think I'm awesome. Big surprise. I can see all your eyes rolling already. Trying to get as many hours as I possibly can. Still not working nearly enough to support myself out here. I shold start subbing though in about 2 weeks so I really just have to make it for 3 weeks thn real money will start coming in. It's kinda cutting it a littl close.

So jsut warning you now: many of you can expect Barnes and Noble XMas presents. Better start looking and hinting to me book ideas now.

So I didn't take the job at Bubba Gumps. I went in for my first day of training and alked out less than 30 minutes later. Apparently I was to spend the first 2-3 weeks only working 2 5 hour shifts each week in training, making like 6 bucks an hour cause I would merely be shadowing other servers. I would not get any tips. That equals like little to no money. After those couple weeks I would then be allowed 2 tables of my own to work for a couple weeks. Again, only 2-3 4-5 hour shifts during slow periods to get me comfortable. I understand the theory behind it but I did go in there telling them I was trying to work 20 hours a week minimum and thy said no problem. After explaining this to them again I was told that this is how it was done. If after the 4-5 week training period I was showing promise, I would be given more tables and hours. So... I thanked them and declined. I did get 2 sweet shirts and a hat out of it. Not a total loss.

So in the 5 days the following has happened: A frog on a boardwalk caused me to trip over my own feet and fall into a bush. I was running, it was dark, the thing hopped in front of me, I tried to jump gracefully over it and to the side at same time. The frog just sat there as I attempted to extract myself from said bush. This happened around 7pm in front of a beach front restaurant. Lots of people in attendance.

A coconut fell from a tree and landed about 2 feet from me as I ran by. Minor heart attack. The thing could have killed me. This also comes with an interesting side story. I was running back and forth on this mile and a half stretch of trail along the ocean bordering Highway 30. There were city workers trimming back the coconut trees along the highway so the wind would not blow the massice dead leaves into the road. I watched one of the workers taking swigs from a 40 of malt while her was on his break. This went on for about 20 minutes. I ran by him twice while he did this. In that 15 minute span he downed almost half the bottle. Then he went and "directed" traffic. Meaning he stood there near the cones and stared off at the other workers, ignoring the cars. The city at its best people. This guy seriously looked like he just roled out of his big cardboard box alley home, threw on one of those neon green vests and walk over to work.

Saved the best for last: So apparently the gas gauge on my scooter is broken. How did I find out you ask. I can sense many of you know what's coming. So today I got back from work and made plans with Matt to meet him down at the beach in front of Hula Grille after I finish my run. So I go do my little run, get cleaned up and head down there. About a mile from my destination, as I'm driving along the very busy highway 30, my scooter sputters its last breaths and dies on me. The gas gauge suddenly goes from just over 1/4 tank to NOTHING! I literally yell out "Are you fucking kidding me!" and get off the bike. I quickly discover the mean little trick my scooter played on me. If this were a Dane Cook sketch I would be saying "Shame on you little scooter. That wasn't funny at all. Oh yoouuuu..." But it wasn't. I was left there on the side of the highway, cars zipping by and a mile to walk to the beach. So thats just what I do. Fortunatly the last quarter mile of it was downhill so I coasted it to the car garage. By the way, scooters don't have to pay the parking fe. We park at the bike racks just inside the ticket taking devices and just scoot out around the barrier when we're ready to go. So I enjoy a couple hours at the beach with Matt, do a little swim, nap for 30 minutes. Life is good. Then I google the closest gas station. If I go left back toward my place it's 2.2 miles away. If I go right and head toward Lahaina it's 2.3 miles away. I am sitting almost in the exact middle of a line between the 2 places... yup that would happen to me. I choose right cause there is a cheap supermarket near that station. So off I go. I trudge with the scooter into the sunset, literally. The sun was setting in front of me, a bit off to the right. And there is no downhill. Other scooters beep on by. How I hate them and their happy, gas filled lives. Fortunatly there are still nice people in the world. With about a mile to go a guy calls me over and asks if I'm out of gas. Instantly in my head I think "Nahhhh, I just fel bad for always sitting on the guy and wanna give him a little break." But instead I explain the situation. He hooks me up with half a gallon of gas from his spare gas container. He even refuses to accept any money. All he wanted was a blowjob in his truck. What the hell, if its gonna save me a mile of walking... NNNNNOOOOOOOOO! I offered to throw him a couple bucks and he said no wories. Geez people come on!

Anyway, Jon returns tomorrow. Matt and I go to pick him up around 12:30. Will be a good time. Now we can have 3 of us sitting around doing nothing with our lives. It'll be nice to have someone to train with again. Life is getting lonely out there being the only one being attacked by frogs, coconuts and vehicles. I guess the whales will start passing by the island in the next month or so. Matt says they come in pods and you'll see handfuls of them swim by, breaching the water as they head west to give birth. Then around March/April they come by again with their young. Really looking forward to seeing that.

The exciting life I lead huh... though I am planning a possible XMas trip over to Oahu to do some camping and hunt down the Lost beach.

Training going well. Averaging about 80 miles a week running. Lost another 3 pounds this week though. Hovering around 142ish.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like quite the adventure you're having louis!! i hope you don't have any more mishaps with frogs or coconuts! ... and the survivor thing is so cool, you'd be AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete