Monday, November 22, 2010

"Have you had a chance to try out the new Nook Color?"

So apparently I am destined to be a salesman in the world of Barnes and Noble. The other night I was working the floor just hlping customers and pretending to be useful when one of my bosses decided to put me on Nook detail. Barnes and Noble has jsut started selling these new ereaders that are pretty much a smaller version of an Ipad. It is alot of fun to play with and you can do alot with one of them. Not gonna lie, if I had money right now I would be buying one. It is also good because you can go online no problem and you pay a fraction of the price for books. Well, after playing with one for about 20 minutes I started approaching people to see if they were interested. The first couple hours were tough but once I got the hang of it I was on fire. In the last 2 hours of the evening I sold 3 colors and an older model. Not bad considering these things are going for 250 bones and people probably ae not expecting to drop that kind of cash in a book store on electronics. Bosses were happy and now that is my top priority at work. Hopefully it will also get me more hours too. Yesterday was not so good though. worked an 8 hour morning shift and spent last 4-5 hours pushing it. No luck, just a couple reservations. It is nice though cause I'm being paid to talk to people, play on the Nook and walk around. Gets me out of zoning.

Did have an uncomfortable 40 minute period at work. An older couple came in because the wife's older Nook was not downloading books. The husband was livid, yelling at me and demanding I fix the issue. After calling customer service and explaining the issue and then calling his local B&N (they're from Michigan) we figure out the isue is with his credit card. This only makes him angrier of course. I spend the entire time apologizing fo the problems andtrying to calm this idiot down. After all i said and don this guy finally calms down after claiming this is completely unacceptable. Yeah, your damn attitude is unacceptable.

So I took a couple days off of running due to an irritated knee. It had been bothering me for about a week and working at the bookstore does not really help. Sidenote: I had ben wearing sneakers lately to work because they help my knee but yesterday my boss came up and killed that plan. Dress shoes only. Serious downer. But anyway, so started running again Friday after 2 days of. Jon and I ran out to Kapalua boardwalk and back. A nice 8 1/2 mile loop. The problem was I woke up a little late so didn't get to eat breakfast or drink more than a couple sips of water. I'm sure you can see where this is going.
We head out on our run around 10:30 Saturday. Right away we are running through some good hills. As we are heading up the highway a couple miles in we are already sweating buckets. About 4 miles into the run we are goign along the trail to a cliff edge thats our turnaround. It is hot out. I am starting to feel crappy and realize that I'm dehydrated. We stop for a second to look out over the ocean and right away I get dizzy and need to sit for a little bit. Then we head back. We are moving at a decent pace along the trail and up to the road. Cresting a big hill on the road my legs are feeling weak. At this point I'm just hanging onto Jon as we are still moving pretty fast back. It's at the bottom of the hill, about 2 miles from our house, that it finally ends for me. My legs just stop working for me. I literally just fall to my knees not knowing whats happening to me. I am super dizzy and feel like I'm gonna throw up. Imagine having been drinking and you have the spins really bad. Add a bad headache and nausea to it. Plus cramped legs. I've pretty much blacked out for about 10-15 seconds while on my knees on the side of the road. I've also stopped sweating. As I regain focus I see Jon realized I wasn't with him and has come back. He tells me I'm really pasty pale so once I can stand again we make out way to the office of a nearby hotel. The woman lets me into the employee bathroom around back and I soak my head and drink water for about a minute. I continue to get random dizzy spells and can only walk for about 100 feet at a time. I sit on a bench with a towel wrapped around my shoulders while Jon runs back to the house to get my moped. After about 10 minutes of sitting there with no more dizzy spells I decide to start walking back to meet Jon somewhere in the middle. I then start lightly jogging as I'm feeling somewhat better. I make it a mile before my body decides it was a bad idea. Jon comes around the corner so perfect timing. And he brought watered down juice. We switch positions and I motor home. The rest of the day I felt like crap. Sadly I had to work all evening after that but that was the evening I learned I was a good salesman so not all bad.

The next day I workd 8 hours but made sure to eat and drink lots of water before my swim/run workout. Actually had a good tempo run that evening. And today I felt back to normal on my run. So recovered and lesson learned. Ate a poptart and drank water before todays run. Also, spent a couple hours snorkling. Life is tough sometimes.

My birthday is about a week away. Am I really turning 29? Is it possible to go back in time about 4-5 years when life was easy and fun? Planning on hiking a mountain this weekend to celebrate getting old. 10,029 feet of elevation. Not too shabby.

Thanks to Kelli my bike is enroute to Maui. Really looking forward to getting back onto that thing. There are some serious routes out here that will test me.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment