Sunday, October 31, 2010

Moving in and Mopeds

Well I'm all moved into my apartment with Matt. Yup, it seems I'm still living with a Mattt. Though they are polar opposites it seems. This guy does not seem to really stress about anything. He just lives day to day and does not let much bother him. This should be interesting.


The apartment is really nice. There are 3 bedrooms, a small dining room, kitchen, living room. Everything is fully furnished and the master bedroom has its own bathroom. The nice thing about my room is that the breeze is constantly blowing into it so it is constantly nice and cool. Walking right out the door you can see the ocean in the distance. It is about 800 meters from our door to the water and less than a mile to the first beach. Not too shabby. We're living in a nice little complex, palm trees all over the place. Everthing is really clean. Right across the street you have all the really expensive houses and cottages. Though we do find the occasional salamander lurking about. Still trying to figure out how they get into the apartment.
There is a really sweet pineapple field just around the corner. Been doing my runs in it the past couple days. So far I'm not sure how far back they go but its pretty far.
Hilly too I've discovered. Takes about 8-10 minutes of running to get up to it then as you head toward the back end of it you are climbing into the hills. My next long run I am determined to find out how far back it goes. But it is nice not to always be running on the highways and roads. I was getting tired of dodging cars and whatnot. Plus once those pineapples ripen... we will feast like kings. I'm sure all the signs warning against trespassing and thieves are just for show...

So I finally got everything into the state education office that will allow me to start subbing. Too bad they neglected to tell me it takes 4 to 6 weeks for it all to get processed. Something about them having to send it all over to Oahu, get it put into the system there, get me approved, then have it all sent back here so they can then process me here. Does anyone else see a crazy amount of stupid here? Yup, leave it to the state. Also, to ad to it all: They set up a meeting for me this past friday to get fingerprinted. The only thing is that the their office is in the state building which is closed on fridays but they are not. So I was to call their office when I got there and someone would come let me in. The meeting being at 9 I made sure to be there by 8:45. So I call and get an answering machine. I call another 8 times over the next hour as I sit out there waiting. I know people are there cause on the 4th time someone answered and transfered me over to someone else. Finally the woman I am meeting calls me and apologizes. She had forgotten I was coming. Of course...

So now I have about a dozen applications to fill out tomorrow and bring to various places in Lahaina. My most promising one is to Barnes and Noble even though it would only be a part time position. When I went in for the application the evening manager was there as I was filling it out. After talking books with her for 10 minutes she realized I actually knew what I was talking about unlike 80% of her staff. So she booked me right there for the group interview they do each month for new staff. Sometime next week. Most of the other applications are for restaurants and retail stores. Money money money...

Bought me a sweet moped to get around. I realized that since I would most likely be working anywhere between 5-15 miles away subbing at different schools I needed
transportation. I thought about just buying a road bike but it seems the cheapest ones at bikeshops are going for anywhere between 1100-1200 dollars. And they were not that nice. So I went with something that would not tire me out and was a little more reliable. And fucking tons of fun to ride. Right now it tops out at only 30-35 mph but I was told that I can buy a device that will bypass the automatic speed seting and allow me to go up to 45mph. I took it out for the first time today as I needed to get down to Lahaina to job hunt. Had a ball driving it down the streets, got a little nervous as I rode down the highway. I stuck to the breakdown lane s most moped riders do. It gets alittle dicey when it is really windy though. Alot like riding a regular bike. As with most things with me getting this thing to my house was a headache. When I went down to the place the woman said the thing would have to be delivered because the dealership was about 30 miles away and I couldn't fit it in my car. Logical. Of course there was a 55 dollar delivery charge. Of course. So we set a rough time (between 12-2)tomorrow. I explain how it can't be later cause I had to return my rental to the airport afterward and take the bus system back (which was an adventure in itself). No problem. fast forward to Friday I return from the sub meeting and wait for this delivery. Around 1 I get a call telling me the guy is on his way and should be there in 25 minutes. 2 o'clock comes and goes. I call and she has no idea where he is. She can't get ahold of hm. 2:30, 2:45 come and go and still nothing. I am pretty annoyed at this point. I call at 3 again and she is bafled. Right after I hang up he finally pulls in. I go out and literally say "Hey, look who finally decides to join us. What the hell happened man?" His answer: Oh sorry, I got stuck in that construction trafic in downtown Lahaina. Now over the past week and a half I have driven through that trafic about 20 times at all times in the day. At most it adds about 15 minutes to your trip. I blatenly tell him this and explain how he has pretty much screwed the rest of my day
up... then thank him for doing so. So we unload the moped and get it put aside. He then tells me that while they were loading it on the truck the engine of the moped was flooded so I probably would not be able to start it for a couple hours. AWESOME! This guy is a Super Winner!
I pay the guy the 55 dollas. I then ask him if he was allowed to accepts tips (here we go... i still smile at this part). He says: "Well yeah, it's usually a courtesy thing anyway to tip the delivery person." My reply: "Alright, well thanks man. That's good to know. Have a good afternoon." And I walk away. Don't even look back at the guy.

So the bus system around the island is pretty good. It just takes FOREVER to get anywhere. The 35 minute ride to return my car for example took me 2 1/2 hours and 3 buses to get back to Lahaina. On the lighter side each bus only cost a dollar and I met some really interesting people on the buses. For example: I got on the first bus at the airport with a security woman who's job it was to check for any illegal fruits and veggies being brought on or off the island. I spent about 30 minutes chatting with her about the different stories she had about her job and how she had 4 kids all who were either just out of college or in college. Then she proceeded to talk about how I should really have kids. We parted ways with her saying how she wished she could introduce me to her oldest daughter. We would really hit it off. Apparently I am such nice young gentleman and so polite. I kinda just smiled and laughed. In my head I was thinking "Not if she gets her looks from you" She was not a looker. I then met a young couple who were just married and on their honeymon here. Sound like anyone we know? The guy sat next to me, away from his wife cause there were no seats where they could sit next to eachother. I look back and wonder if I should have offered to switch with her cause she got stuck sitting next to a pretty gross local guy who did not look fun to sit next to. Chatting with this guy I learn they are from Baltimore and he just got a job working as a stocker/bagger at a grocery store. She picked a real winner kids. How are they affording a vacation to maui? Looking at him I figure trader joes or whole foods. He has that hippie aura about him. We part ways and I make my 5 minute walk from the bus stop to my humble abode.

Training:
Still averaging about 10-12 aday. My goal is to buildup to 75-80 a week. Took yesterday off due to traveling all over the place and waiting for loser delivery guy. First day off since the monday i left.
Have started doing 20 minute tempos in runs now. Will build those up to 1 hour tempos. Also doing about 3-4 doubles a day with 4 mile morning runs.

Swimming about 3-4 days a week. Only doing about 30 minute swims. Tried doing first swim workout this evening but it got dark too soon. Swam into coral as I entered water on 4th repeat. Nice bruised shin. Will check out pool tomorrow in Lahaina.

Need to get my bike out here. This place is perfect for biking. Large, climbing hills. Long straightaways.

Weight: Now that I'm eating more stable meals, weight has stopped going down. Goal is to keep it around 140-143 form this point on. Once I get into real training I'll have to adjust that.

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment