Saturday, October 23, 2010

Living in the Lap of Luxury and making New Friends Every Day!

First off I can't wait to get into my apartment for the sole reason that I will be
able to post on a more regualr basis and not have to write these extra long posts. Though I know you all eagerly look forward to spending 10 minutes readuing every word I write. Plus I miss real food. And not having to wake up every morning to one of the many roosters that have made my camp ground their home.


A little note about my camp ground and Maui in general: It seems some of the not so native animals that are found everywhere in massive amounts are roosters and cats. Everywhere I go, whether its woods, mountain hikes, the city.... there is a multitude of these animals. Around my campground you can find dozens of cats roaming in little gangs. Walking to the bathroom (about 150 yards down a windy little path... always an adventure in the middle of the night) I am greeted with shiny green eyes scattered among the trees. Interesting enough... my allergies go unaffected. I believe these cats hunt the roosters and I cheer them on with gusto. 6:00 AM is not a wakeup call I asked for.

The campground is not so bad other than that. I have found that i wake up no matter what between 7:30-8 each day. Usually because at that point it is getting too hot to stay in my little tent. There is a nice little shower close by. I try to go for a little 3-4 mile run to a nice overlook where i can see across to some other islands then jump into the ocean for a quick dip as the start of my day. Though you can't really jump into the water here as it doesn't get past one's waist for about 150 yards. A few nights I have walked out into the water to my waist and all I could think about was "Sharks have been known to attack in 3 feet of water. For 10 bucks a night you can't really complain too much. The other campers are not really that talkative and I don't think they go anywhere. I leave the grounds by 9 usually and don't return usually til 8-12 at night. Oh well, I'm sure I'm not missing much.

After the first couple crazy nights I have settled down a little. Mostly cause I was suffering from a severe lack of sleep. It's weird actually, I find myself having trouble remembering stuff I did jsut a couple days ago. As with vacations I forget what day it is alot. But lets dig into that memory. Let's go back...back to Wednesday...

Didn't do all that much really. Went and applied to teach in Maui. Realized they required my official transcripts. That would have ben something they may have wanted to tell me when I called them about a month ago looking for information. So now I am having those sent to Sara's place ASAP. Spent my first night at my campground. Realized I needed an air mattress. Very tough night of sleeping on the ground. Good sleeping back though. Too bad Maui doesn't carry sleeping backs made for 60-70 degree nights. Have you ever slept in a sleeping bag made for 30-40 degree weather in the middle of summer? Yup, lots of sweating. I do like the sound of the ocean though. I don't like the pet bird some guy has 2 tents over that squaks randomly in the night. Very loudly. Sound alot like my Cape Cod roommate Chris snoring. Oh the memories.
Went running that evening as it started getting dark. Found some random dirt road that went into the hills. Not the best idea I guess. Found a nice little plateau that allowed me to look out over the outter island and see the sunset behind one of

the other islands. I also found out that the path winds through some small farms with natives who did not seem pleased to see me. I vividly remember running up the dirt road along one of the farms (tons of roosters everywhere) and coming upon a couple guys leaning against a beatup pickup truck. They were very adament about me turning around. So after a few detours down other side trails and through a creepy cemetary at twilight I got back onto the main road. Running along the shoulder of the highway with the ocean on one side and vehicles on the other kept the run interesting. That night I also discovered the shallow water phenomenon. I felt like Jesus. Only I don't like wine.

Thursday was a good day. Woke up and went running to the plataeu then a quick dip. After a hearty breakfast of poptarts and granola bars it was off to the beach. Black Rock here I come. But first I had to hunt me down an air mattress. After a couple hours of hunting I found one at Walgreens, along with a pump. They only carry queensize. For my tiny 2 person tent this would be interesting. Though it would come in handy if I somehow convinced some lady to come back to my tent. If the twins could do it with the basement at stacy may, I got a shot. While wandering Lahaina I came across submarine tours. I serious possibility for the near future.


Snorkling at Blackrock was a blast. I hate how parking is crazy expensive (though now I know how to get around most of these fees). I had the opportunity to swim with a sea turtle. I don't think he liked me following him around for 15 minutes. Had a couple schools of fish swim right through me like I wasn't there. Just to make myself feel better about not really working out I also through in some real swimming now and then.

After this I decided to splurge on myself so went over to subway, got a footlong
then bought myself a 6 pack of Sam October. Very siked they sell Sam beer here. watched the sunset and some surfing til around 7ish. Then back to the camp for:
ADVENTURES IN SETTING UP A DAMN AIR MATTRESS IN A TENT TOO SMALL FOR IT WITH A PUMP THAT WON'T FIT.
Yup, that about explained it all. On top of all that it was rediculously humid in the tent so as I spent 30 minutes trying to inflate the damn mattress I was sweating up a storm. I got the thing about 70 percent filled and game up. Good enough. Trying to sleep that night was very reminisent of Mooseman 2 years ago with Paul and Jon. I just sunk into the damn thing. Would I ever get one good night's sleep?

Friday: Up at 8... 30 minutes later I was returning that damn air mattress. Found a good twin sized one at a Sports Authority on my way to Ieo Valey State Park in Makawao. Did a nice hilly run through this region. Will go back to hike to the top of some of the hills. At times I felt like I was running at Jurassic Park... you know that scene when they first arrive in the helicopter, flying between the cliffs?
Yup... those kind of views. Also: It is univeral that people harras runners. Got some classic : "run faster!" and "you can do it!" form some of the locals hanging out there. Also got a "faggot" on an earlier run the other day.

Wound up meeting 2 polynesian women by a river. How'd I meet them? Well there was this large rock hanging over the river about 5 feet. The water at the rock was about 4-5 feet deep so after my run i jumped in from the rock. May have gotten one of the women sitting ona lower rock pretty wet. When I say may have i mean i definitly did. Great conversation starter though. Her friend had ben trying to get her into the water apparently. Solved that problem. Also, they were born on the island, were both around 30ish, and it was their first time to this park.


I got back to Lahaina as it was starting to get dark. Wanting to swim I pull over to the first area I thought looked good.

Side note: There are alot of very small beaches along the cost open to the public. Many are either good swimming beaches or good surfing (meaning shallow the first 50 yards or so then dropping off allowing at least small wave break). I picked a good surfing beach. This meant I had to swim about about 60 yards past the break (it was very light that evening anyway). Coral is sharp by the way. Anyway, as the light failed there I was swimming back and forth about 60-70 yards from shore for about 30 minutes waiting for a shark to appear out of nowhere in the fading light. About 7 surfers sat on the shore apparently watching me and thinking the same thing I was. I know this cause after I came out I went over and talked to them for a bit. I guess they rarely see sharks in this area though. Got a nice scrape from the coral on my way back in though.
After a quick shower and change back the ol' homestead, and a successful bed setup, it was off to Lahaina to meet up with a couple of the surfers/vacationers for some drinks. 2 drinks in they lost their cool when I realized they were just a bunch of business goofs with theuir wives/girlfriends and were content to sit around all night. So wandering the main street I wander into a shop Elaine would love. Vintage European Posters. We're talking authentic and apparently super expensive posters. Now why would I go in? Attractive sales girl of course. An empty store and interesting posters soon led to about 25 minutes of conversation that spanned posters, books, Maui, then.... boss comes over and informs us its time to close shop. Serious donwer. So I'm hustled out by Cruela Devil (she serious reminded me of that puppy murdering wench). Here's the silver lining: Joy (yup her name is Joy... really) informs me she will be working Monday. I guess I'll be showing more interest in European Posters at least though Monday. After parousing a few more bars I soon realize Lahaina has little to ofer in nightlife. Back to camp/bed around 1.

Today (Saturday) saw me up at... yup... 8 again. Having played phone tag with Sara the past couple days we were planning on meeting up at the beach. So that meant early run. So of course I don't get to running til like 10. And it got hot. 85 at start of run and by the time I started my tempo portion at the 30 minute mark it was close to 90. I could feel my face literally heating up as I climbed up and down throught the streets norht of Lahaina. At 65 minutes I came to a little public beach and ended the run. Feeling my body about to shutdown I thought I would go into shock when I jumped into the ocean. It was a tough, slow jog back to the car a 1/2 mile away. Then it was a quick change, a meal of granola bars, poptarts, and the purchase of deli meats to celebrate the workout. Deciding to cheat parking fes I hiked the mile and a half to a nice public beach a mile north of Black Rock. As I get there Sara calls me and tells me she and her roomate were at the beach outside the Hula Grille. On the southside of Balckrock. I would have to either walk another mile and a half or go back to my car and drive there. Nope. I stay promising to go to the Grille for dinner and visit. Also: I find out this place has free parking. All that wlaking for nothing. Oh well, an hour of snorkling makes up for it. Meet another turlte and some cool fish. Test out the camera with success. Soak up some sun then its back to the car and off to Blackrock for more beach and dinner. I meet a group vacationing while there. How? When I get there I go for a 30 minute swim and apparently this group (all look like their exercise consists of beer can lifting... seriously they were all drinking budlights) were betting on how far down i'd swim

and if a shark would get me. That's twice the shark thing has come up. Time to worry? But they were cool. Gave me a beer. Dinner at the Hula was a blast. Thanks in part to the fact Sara bought me my dinner since she did owe me a meal. It was nice eating real food. Also: If any of you come to Maui we are going to Yogurtworld. Went there during the hour wait to be seated. Amazing! Met a group of people from Sacramento while waiting to be seated. 3 teachers among them. After chatting with them for half an hour was invited to join them for dinner but declined solely because Sara would not have been able to comp my meal.

Xterra World Championships tomorrow at Makena Beach and Golf Resort! Thankfully I have my 6 AM wakeup to get down there in time to watch.

Well, thats alot of typing and reading. Sorry people but I promise shorter, more routine posts soon.

Training notes: Been running about 10 miles a day with exception of Monday. Doing 16-17 tomorrow morning. Between my swims and all the snorkling my swimming is slowly coming back into form. Need bike over here.

Weight: 143 Lost 6 pounds in past 6 days. To be expected though with way I've ben eating. Thank God for Subway. Once I move into apartment better eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment