Monday, February 28, 2011

You smell that... It's the winds of change.

A very classic line from a classic Pixar movie. Anyone able to name it?
Anyway, so it's definitely been over two weeks since my last post and I apologize to the one or two people who actually read this.
So since my very near death experience (see last posting) things have changed around here for me.
Most prominent is I no longer work at Barnes and Noble. That means no more standing there for 20+ hours a week trying to sell Nooks to people who really could not give a damn. No more fake smiles and pretending I don't notice you smell horrible or are wearing just way too much Tag body spray and it's all I can do not to cough and gag. Though let's be honest. The last couple weeks there I pretty much stopped putting any real effort at all into my job. I also stopped caring once I stopped working with Bethany who was easily the only real good looking girl there and most fun to work with. Lost alotta motivation to go into work once our schedules started to no longer match up.
So after I almost died on that bike ride 2 weeks ago I decided I would pretty much stop doing what i didn't enjoy. This led me to talking to my boss at B&N the very next day and informing them that the next week would be my last week there. So what do they do? A couple days later I am called in and offered another $1.50 an hour to stay. I turn them down. Not worth it. The job was causing me to develop shin splints from standing there too long in crappy shoes.
So a couple days before that fateful biking day I had received an email from Maui Prep asking if I was still interested in coaching. I didn't respond right away because I figured it would be too much of a time commitment and not as much money as B&N. Well having missed coaching I call them up and decide to take the job. The principal informs me that because he did not hear back from me within a couple days he decided to offer the job to someone else. Bummed I thank him and ask him to keep me in mind if he doesn't hear anything.
Fast forward 24 hours, he calls me back telling me he decided I was much better suited for the job. Plus I'll be making 2500 for a 2 1/2 month season. Cha Ching!
I've been there about a week and a half so far and am loving it. It is like coaching at SPM all over again. I have like 12 kids on the team, only 2 girls. The top distance runner is named Caitlin and never has anyone to run with. Pretty good but has never had a real coach, never run anything more than 25-30 minutes at once. But she's built to run long distance. Ton of potential and never been pushed. Sadly I only have 2 months to work with her. The sprinters are classic slackers who are there cause they have nothing else to do and are required to do 2 activities a year.
It'll but a little strain on my training schedule but I am having fun with it. I figure if I could make myself train last year in the evenings in cold New England this won't be nearly as bad. To add to the sweetness of the job: The XC coach hooked me up with one of the super expensive Garmin GPS heart rate monitor watches he bought for the XC team to use next fall. He wants me to try it out and see how it handles. The thing is pretty awesome.
Not sure what's going on with Survivor at this time. I went through all the steps needed so far and at this point I guess it's just a waiting game as the casting people wade through all the potential candidates for the casting calls in LA. But I have received emails from casting directors for other shows who are interested. Mostly it’s Big Brother like shows. Not interested in that stuff at all so no chance am I responding to those. I am not about to be tied down to a house full of drama kings and queens in a real world situation. Not my cup of tea.
Subbing is going well. Getting alotta calls every week. Though because of coaching I am now training from like 5-8 and find myself missing alotta sub calls. Because it's an automated machine calling you can't call back. It's more of a first come basis thing. Like last Friday I missed 6 calls from the sub listing for this upcoming week. I'm already booked for 2 days and most likely will get calls for the other days but it is super annoying that the call window is usually from 5-10 on weekdays. Now I just try to have the phone with me no matter what. Even out on runs I not take the thing. Kinda a hassle. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do to make the Benjamins.
So it appears my roommates are planning on heading back to the east coast around mid to late April. This will throw a little wrench in my plans since I had assumed everyone would be staying until sometime in May. Now my options are go home at the end of April and try to find a job for the next 2 months until the Seashore, try and find some roommates here so I can stay living at Kahana Ridge or start looking in the papers for a place to rent for 1 month somewhere else. All options I'm not too keen on I'll tell you. But whatever, not gonna sweat the small stuff yet. So long as I have a bed to sleep in, a paycheck coming in on a regular basis, Oreo cookies to chow on and some place to work out I'm pretty happy.
Speaking of working out... things are going pretty well. I'm getting in some serious biking these past couple weeks. I've been averaging around 150 miles a week. Alotta tempoing on the aerobars for an hour or so at a time. Lots of 10-20 mile tempos. Been feeling really strong so far. Have a century+ ride planned with Jon for Wednesday. I'm looking to get in about 110-20 miles on the ride.
Swimming is about what I expect. Getting in 2-3 ocean swims o 35-45 minutes each week. I also try and get into the pool once a week. Had a tough pool workout today. Body was tuckered out after the West Maui Loop ride yesterday (see pictures on facebook). But I am slowly getting back into decent swimming shape. If I can gt back to where I was 2 summers ago I will be ecstatic.
As for running, I am not going to put as much into the running as I have in the past. I've come to realize that no matter what my running will be at a better level than most triathletes out there. So I plan on sticking around 40 miles a week running and just making sure I'm getting in a lot of brick workouts with biking and running. Plus a 16-20 miler every other week or so. The bulk of my work is going to be on the bike.
Put all this together and there is no reason why I shouldn't be going under 11 hours.
What has all this led up to so far? Well a leaner tanner me for one. More like a faint red color to be honest. Not so much a sunburn. Just a little cooked form being out in the sun for hours at a time. But I have definitely leaned out a little more. No worries though cause I've stepped up my eating to keep pace with my calorie burning. So right now I'm sticking around 140-143. After a tough couple days of training I tend to dip down to 138ish but after a couple easy days and lots of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches I'll rebound back over 140. Lately it's been lots and lots of chicken and pasta. Chicken drumsticks have been on sale. I took advantage of that.
Really not much else has been going on though. Lately life out here has kind of slipped into a routine. I sub, coach, train, relax for a couple hours, sleep. I do have to work on getting a little more sleep. I figure at this point I get anywhere from 5-7 hours a sleep a night. About 5-6 on the week days and 7-8 weekends. Oh well, I can sleep more when I'm dead right?
Cape Cod is almost around the corner. I am soooooo siked. I am ready for it to be here. No matter how awesome this place is I still would choose the Cape every time. There is just something about that place that makes it perfect. Sitting around on the beach and getting paid, working out and getting paid, sitting around the table all evening shooting the shit. Maybe a couple north eastern hurricanes to shake things up a bit. Countdown: 4 1/2 months. Plus if Wes comes out and guards. Life will be pretty sweet.
So I think I'm just gonna end it here. Everyone is watching Talking Heads in the other room so I should go be social.
Stay classy everyone...

No comments:

Post a Comment